This quote speaks volumes in just one sentence.
A lot of people ask why I am so open with my disease, or even suggest that I just want sympathy. (Honestly, the last thing I want is a pity party.)
The reasons I share my journey with Crohn's disease are countless, but these are some of the most important to me:
- Helping me to heal mentally and spiritually, which in turn allows me to heal better physically
- Proving that perseverance and a strong will can help you get through even the worst of times, as well as having a great support system
- To take away the stigma that surrounds diseases of the gut and to empower young women and girls to not be embarrassed by these illnesses and what they entail
- To raise awareness and funds to find better treatments and, hopefully, someday a CURE
- To change even just one person's ideas about IBD, or educate just a few people on what I and others go through, or give one girl the courage to address her illness and remain confident and feel beautiful
If I achieve more, wonderful, if I achieve less, that's fine too. Ultimately I believe that my story will heal me, along with medicine, time, and loads of patience.
Love & Thanks,